Everyone loves to gorge on chocolate cakes but it is baked with not-so-healthy ingredients like refined flour, lots of butter and sugar. To make it slightly healthier,I have used whole wheat flour (plus smaller quantity of refined flour) and olive oil (in place of butter). I have also tried to bake it without any trace of refined flour(just whole wheat flour). Cake (with no refined flour) had a denser texture yet it was moist and delicious.
This cake has a very soft and moist texture. I have covered it with chocolate ganache. You can also serve the cake with chocolate syrup/ strawberry syrup or just sprinkle icing sugar/ sweetened cocoa powder.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup refined flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (powdered)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup olive oil/ cooking oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup cold water
- Grease a 7″ round baking tin with butter/oil. Sprinkle flour on all sides of the tin and tap it to remove excess flour.
- Grind brown sugar in a mixer to get a powdered form.
- Preheat oven at 180 °C for 10 minutes.
- Sieve whole wheat flour, refined flour, baking soda and salt together in a big bowl.
- Now, sieve together sugar and cocoa powder and mix it in the first bowl.
- In another bowl, pour oil, vinegar and cold water. Whisk it.
- Transfer 1/4 cup of dry mixture into wet mixture and mix it. Repeat the process till all of dry mixture is finished.
- Add vanilla essence to the mixture and stir it.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin and bake at 180 °C in a preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Place the toothpick in the center of the cake to check if it comes clean.
- If it does not come clean , bake again for 8-10 minutes and repeat the toothpick test.
- Once, cake is done, demould it and wait for the cake to cool down completely. It takes around 40-45 minutes.
- If cake is browned completely from the top but still not cooked from inside, cover the top with an aluminium foil and place it in the oven again for baking. Aluminium foil will allow cooking from inside and prevent excess browning.
- Brown sugar can be replaced by powdered white sugar or powdered jaggery. Jaggery has a strong flavor, so use jaggery and sugar in 50-50 proportion.
- Greasing is not required if you are using a silicon mould.