It is a tangy and spicy pasta sauce, prepared with only one tablespoon of oil. This pasta sauce can be stored in a refrigerator easily for 4-5 days. So, cook it and store it.
I have added an unusual ingredient, carrot to it. Carrot contributes to sweetness in the sauce and adds nutrition as well. I make sure to add vegetables like carrot and capsicum in pizza/pasta sauce itself , whenever I cook pasta for my son. He relishes it and I am happy that he has eaten vegetables. It is a win-win situation for both of us. I have not added capsicum to this sauce but will soon be sharing the recipe with it.
Main ingredient of this sauce is tomato. They are a rich source of vitamin A (good for eyes and skin), vitamin C (boosts immunity), potassium (healthy functioning of body’s cells, tissues and organs) and folic acid (necessary for cell development). A single sized tomato contains half of your daily value of vitamin C. They are also a good source of antioxidants lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein. Red colour of tomatoes mainly comes from lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Research suggests that it provides protection against cancer.
Another important ingredient, Basil is again a healthy herb. It is noted to be rich in Vitamin A,Vitamin K and possesses many other vitamins and minerals.
So, go ahead and enjoy your healthy pasta.
Yields: 1 1/2 cup sauce
- 1 1/2 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 4 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 Big Carrot (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 cup Fresh Italian Basil leaves(Shredded)
- 2 Tsp Paprika Powder
- 2 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dry Parsley (Optional)
- 2 Tsp Italian Mixed Herbs Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil/Any Other Cooking Oil
- Salt As per Taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add chopped garlic to it. Once it turns slight golden, add onion and cook for 4-5 minutes till it turns translucent.
- Add carrot. Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are tender.
- Add paprika powder, chilli flakes, dry parsley, mixed herbs seasoning, tomato ketchup and salt. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add basil and cook for a minute. Do not cook for long as too much exposure to heat reduces its flavor.
- Allow the mixture to cool down completely and subsequently, blitz the mixture in a grinder.
- Transfer the contents to the pan again and cook it to reach desired consistency. Add water, if needed.
- Cook with the pasta of your choice and serve it.
- It pairs well with short pasta shapes like penne,macaroni, farfalle,fusilli etc.
- One can pair it with fettuccine and spaghetti as well. In such a case, add some cream or milk to the sauce in its last stage of cooking to provide a creamy texture.