Burger just got healthier !!!
Instead of usual potato burger patties, I have made these patties with kala chana, also known as Black/ Indian chickpeas.They are low in fat and high in dietary fiber, in addition to being a rich source of protein and iron.
They have a low glycemic index, which means the carbohydrate is broken down and digested slowly. This helps in curbing appetite; hence it is very good for people looking to lose weight.
You can replace the regular burger buns with whole wheat burger buns and wafers with baked potato wedges/fries. I will be posting their recipes in upcoming blog posts.
I have adopted healthier pan-frying method, instead of deep-frying or shallow frying, to maintain the health quotient of black chickpeas.
YIELDS :8-10 Burger Patties
For Burger Patties :
- 1 Cup Black Chickpeas/Kala Chana (Soaked Overnight)
- 1 Big Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Green Chillies (Chopped)/(Optional)
- 6-8 Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/4 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chat Masala
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Tsp Kitchen King Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3- 4 Tbsp Gram Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp+1/2 Tbsp+ 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Salt As Per Taste
- Burger Buns
- Onion Rings
- Tomato Slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Coriander Chutney/Mayonnaise
- Tomato Ketchup (Optional)
For Burger patties :
- Boil soaked black chickpeas /black chana in a pressure cooker with salt and 1 1/4 cup of water. Lower the flame after one whistle and let it cook for 20-25 minutes at low flame.
- Drain excess water. Cool it and grind in a mixer-grinder.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan. Add green chillies and garlic. Cook for a minute or two and subsequently, add onion and ginger. Saute onion at medium-high flame till they turn brown.
- Cool onion mixture and grind it to obtain a smooth paste.
- Take a big bowl and transfer black chickpea paste and onion paste to it. Also, add all dry ingredients plus half a tablespoon of oil.
- Mix all the ingredients and shape them into balls. If you have trouble shaping the mixture, add more gram flour.
- Press them between the palms to mould them in the shape of tikki.
- Now, heat a non-stick pan and pan-fry kebabs with remaining oil.
- Transfer them to tissue paper so as to absorb excess oil.
FOR ASSEMBLING :
- Slit burger buns and lightly toast both sides of the bun on a hot greased tava.
- Smear inner portion of burger bun with coriander chutney/mayonnaise.
- Place lettuce leaf and burger patty on one portion of the bun. Top it with onion rings, tomato slices and drizzle tomato ketchup over it. Cover it with top portion of bun.
- Serve with potato wafers/ fries/wedges of your choice.
- You can soak Black Chana in lukewarm water for 5-6 hours as well.
- If you are making it for your kid, adjust the chillies as per taste. You can add a cheese slice to increase the protein and calcium content.