Kadai paneer is one of the most popular recipe of North Indian cuisine.
It is a paneer/ cottage cheese preparation, cooked in a semi-dry gravy of onion, tomato and capsicum along with aromatic and flavorsome indian spices like coriander seeds, cardamom, kashmiri red chillies, fenugreek leaves etc.
It is served with Indian flatbreads like tandoori roti, naan, missi roti etc.
Serves: 3-4 persons
- 250 Gms. Paneer (Cut into 2″ long strips )
- 3 Medium Onion (Chopped vertically into thick strips )
- 2 Medium Tomatoes ( Chopped into 1 “cubes )
- 3 Medium Tomatoes ( Paste using a grinder )
- 2 Medium Capsicum ( Choppped into 1 “cubes )
- 2 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 2 Kashmiri Red Chilles
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Coriander Seeds (Dry roasted)
- 2 Tsp Coriander Seeds Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 3/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 1/2 Tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori Methi)
- 8 Tbsp Toned Milk
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Salt As Per taste
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves (Chopped, for Garnishing )
- Dry roast coriander seeds on a hot tava and crush it roughly, using a mortar and pestle.
- Also, dry roast kasoori methi and gently crush it using your fingers.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida, kashmiri red chillies and cumin seeds.
- Add onion strips and ginger-garlic paste when cumin seeds begin to crackle. Saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they become tender.
- Add capsicum and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Now, add crushed coriander seeds, coriander seeds powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and mix.
- Add milk. Stir for 2 minutes, then cover kadai with a lid.
- Let it cook for 10-15 minutes till oil starts separating.
- Add paneer cubes,sugar,garam masala, cardamom powder and fenugreek leaves. Stir the mixture for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with any Indian flat-bread of your choice.
- I have added milk to the gravy for thicker consistency but you can add cream as well.