Falafel is part of traditional Middle Eastern food. It is prepared by deep frying balls of Chickpeas (also known as Garbanzo Beans/Kabuli Chana). It is usually served by wrapping it inside a pita bread, topped by tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber etc. along with a dip.
It is also eaten as a snack, paired with hummus (chickpeas and sesame seeds dip). You will find the recipe for hummus in my previous post.
Chickpeas are known for being an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber, folate and iron. They are also considered a moderate source of thiamin, magnesium and vitamin B-6.
Chickpeas are low in fat but a considerable amount of fat is absorbed during the deep-frying process. You can occasionally try pan-frying falafel balls. They will not be as crispy as the deep-fried ones but the taste will still remain delicious.
Yields : 14-16 Falafel Balls
- 2 Cups Soaked Chickpeas
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Parsley (Dry)
- 3 Tbsp Chopped Mint Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 3/4 Tsp Red Paprika Powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Corn flour Powder
- Salt as per Taste
- Cooking Oil (For Deep-Frying / Pan-Frying)
- Pour all the ingredients (except for coriander leaves and mint leaves) in a mixer-grinder/food processor and blitz it to get a thick mixture.
- Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves to it. Mix all the ingredients with the help of a spatula.
- Shape the mixture into balls and refrigerate the balls for 2-3 hours.
- Deep-fry/ Pan-fry refrigerated falafel balls.
- Transfer them to a paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
- Serve falafel with hummus or wrap it inside a pita bread.
- Chickpeas almost double in size,when soaked.So, you can soak approximately 1 cup of dry chickpeas to get 2 cups of soaked chickpeas.
- If falafel balls fall apart while frying, you can add some more cornflour powder to mixture.
- Another option is to dip it in cornflour slurry and coat with bread-crumbs. Refrigerate for 25-30 mins and try deep-frying again.