It has been prepared with whole wheat flour and jaggery with a hint of cinnamon and cardamom flavor. Lot of chopped dry fruits have been added to it. I have used oil instead of butter.
It is a delicious cake and pairs well with a cup of hot tea/coffee.
As you must have noticed by now, I have replaced unhealthy ingredients by healthier ones. So, it will serve as a healthy snack for your kid as well. When you kid comes running for biscuits, give him a piece of scrumptious cake, enriched with dry fruits. You can also try Egg-less Chocolate Cake recipe made with whole wheat flour ( I have shared it in one of my previous posts ).
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Toned Milk
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Chopped Dry Fruits Mix (Almonds, Cashew nuts and Raisins)
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil/ Any Other Cooking Oil
- Preheat oven at 180°C and grease a cake tin (7″ Baking Tin).
- Mix jaggery powder and oil in a bowl and beat it properly so that no lumps remain in the mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, one at a time and transfer contents to oil-jaggery mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sieve whole wheat flour and baking powder twice.
- Add 1/4 cup of dry mixture to wet mixture and mix it using a spatula.
- Add milk when you have difficulty moving the spatula.
- Repeat the process till dry mixture is finished.
- Add cinnamon powder, cardamom powder and chopped dry fruits.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tin and bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick/knife in the center of the cake to see if it comes clean.
- Your cake is ready if toothpick/knife comes clean else continue to bake for additional 5-10 minutes.
- Let cake cool down completely before cutting into pieces. If you do not let it cool , it will crumble while cutting.
- You can use white sugar/brown sugar if jaggery powder is not available.
- You can use jaggery and sugar in 50-50 proportion.
- If jaggery powder has a granular texture, grind it in a mixer-grinder for a minute or two.
- If you do not have cinnamon powder/cardamom powder, dry roast cinnamon/ cardamom and grind it in the grinder. Then, use a fine sieve to get the powder.
- If you feel that cake is browned from the top but yet not cooked. Cover the cake with an aluminium foil and continue baking.