It is a flavorful and nutritious pasta dish which has been cooked with healthy vegetables like spinach, sweet corn and lots of garlic.
I have used whole wheat flour, milk and spinach puree for making the sauce. Some chopped spinach (blanched) has also been added. If your kid does not eat spinach, I suggest using spinach entirely in puree form.
Sweet Corn is a fiber-rich food and contains some important B group vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium etc. Cooked sweet corn is a good source of an antioxidant, ferulic acid which plays a vital role in preventing cancer.
Spinach is a low-calorie food. It is an excellent source of fiber. It is also rich in iron, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium and folic acid. Spinach is good for maintaining bone health and a healthy immune system.
Serves: 2-3 persons
- 2 Cups Penne Pasta (Uncooked)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion ( Chopped )
- 3/4 Cup Sweet Corn (Boiled)
- 1/4 Cup Spinach (Blanched and Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Spinach Purée
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 3 Tsp Oregano Herb
- 5 Tsp Whole Wheat Flour
- 2/3 Cup Toned Milk
- 3/4 Tbsp Olive Oil+ 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- Salt as per Taste
- Boil water in a pan and add pasta, salt and 1 tsp of oil to boiling water.
- When pasta is cooked, turn off the flame and drain excess water.
- Pour some ice-cold water over pasta to halt cooking process.
- Heat 3/4 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and add garlic.
- Cook garlic for minute and add onion.
- Cook onion till they turn translucent.
- Add whole wheat flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and spinach puree.
- Mix it and pour milk. Sprinkle black pepper powder, chilli flakes, oregano herb and salt to it.
- Stir the mixture continuously so that no lumps are formed and whole wheat flour is dissolved in milk.
- Add pasta to it and cook for 4-5 minutes till sauce thickens.
- Turn off the flame. Pasta is ready to be served.
- You can make spinach puree by following these instructions :
- Wash spinach and put it in hot boiling water.
- Let it boil for a minute. Turn off the flame and transfer spinach to ice-cold water.
- Grind blanched spinach in a mixer-grinder to get puree.