Paneer Lababdar is prepared in a thick onion-tomato based rich cashew-nut gravy . Spices like cinnamon, cardamom and aromatic fenugreek leaves add to heavenly combination of paneer/cottage cheese cubes dipped in creamy and spicy gravy.
Paneer/ Cottage cheese, a vegetarian delight is a high-protein food and also a good source of calcium.
I have used a combination of almonds and cashew nuts for adding thickness to gravy. Also, I have used toned milk instead of cream to give it a creamy texture. Lower the quantity of red chilli powder to half if you are making it for your kid.
Serves: 3-4 persons
- 250 Grams Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- 2 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 4 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tsp ( Grated ) Ginger
- 2 Tsp Garlic (Chopped)
- 7 Cashew Nuts + 7 Almonds (Soaked In Lukewarm Water for 40-50 mins)
- 6 pieces of Green Cardamom (Elaichi)
- 1 1/2 ” Piece Of Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds powder ( Bhuna Jeera )
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder ( Pisi Dhaniya)
- 1 Tsp Degi Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp (Crushed) Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori Methi)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- Salt as per Taste
- Dry roast cinnamon stick and cardamom on a hot tava. Grind it with soaked cashew nuts. Use a few teaspoons of water if you face difficulty in getting a paste-like consistency.
- Similarly, dry roast fenugreek leaves and crush it gently with fingers.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add garlic. Sauté for a few seconds and add onion and ginger.
- Cook the ingredients with a pinch of salt till it starts to turn brownish in color. It will take around 8-10 minutes.
- Add cashew-nut paste to kadai and saute for a few seconds.
- Subsequently, add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander powder, degi red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let mixture cool down. Transfer the contents to a jar and blitz the mixture to obtain a paste.
- Again heat the kadai and transfer mixture to it. Add milk and sugar and stir the contents of kadai. You can adjust seasoning at this stage.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes till gravy starts to thicken.
- Add cottage cheese cubes and sprinkle kasoori methi. Cook for 2 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Transfer contents to a serving bowl and serve paneer lababdar with tandoori roti /any Indian flat-bread of your choice.