There are three kinds of Tofu, soft/silken tofu, firm tofu and extra firm tofu.
Tofu has a mild taste. So, you will certainly have to work for making it delicious. Good news is that Tofu absorbs the flavor of the ingredients in which it is cooked. So, marinate it well and enjoy the dish.
At my home, everyone is fond of Chilli Paneer. So I have modified the recipe by using Extra-firm Tofu instead of Paneer. Unlike Chilli Paneer, this recipe requires Tofu to be marinated for at least an hour.
You can eat Chilli Tofu (In Dry Form) as an appetizer or eat Chilli Tofu (With Gravy) along with noodles/rice.
Serves: 2-3 Persons
For Gravy :
- 200 Gms. Tofu (Extra-Firm)
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped Vertically)
- 3-4 Spring Onion Bulbs (Chopped)
- 1 Medium Green Capsicum (Chopped Vertically)
- 1 Tbsp (Chopped) Garlic
- 3/4 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 Green Chillies (Slit)
- 2 Tsp Soya Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tsp Chilli Vinegar / White Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 4 Tsp Cornflour Powder + 2 Tsp Cornflour Powder
- Salt as per Taste
- 1 1/4 Tbsp + 1/2 Tbsp Sesame Oil / Any Other Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Sesame Seeds (Toasted,For Garnishing)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (Chopped) Spring Onion Stalk (For Garnishing)
To Marinate Tofu:
- 2 Tsp Soya Sauce
- 2 Tsp Red Chilli Sauce
- Cut Tofu into long strips and transfer them to a bowl.
- To marinate, pour soya sauce and red chilli sauce over Tofu strips and coat all the sides by flipping them.
- Place the bowl in a refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Pour 2 tsp of cornflour powder over Tofu and gently coat the strips with cornflour powder.
- Heat half a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick and pan-fry tofu strips for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/4 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add green chillies and chopped garlic.
- Saute for a minute and add onion, spring onion bulbs and ginger paste.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes till onion turns translucent and add capsicum.
- Saute again for 3-4 minutes.
- Make a slurry by mixing 4 teaspoons of cornflour powder along with 4 teaspoons of water and transfer it to the pan.
- Subsequently, add soya sauce, red chilli sauce, chilli vinegar, red chilli flakes, black pepper powder.
- Add Tofu ,1 cup of water, sugar and salt . Mix all the ingredients.
- Cook at medium heat till gravy starts to thicken.
- Garnish with spring onion stalk and sesame seeds.
- Serve with noodles/rice.