It has been modified to include various toppings like tomato, vegetables, cheese, meat etc. There is a popular dish in the name of Bruschetta Pomodoro which uses ingredients like basil, tomato, garlic, onion and mozzarella.
My version of Bruschetta has been prepared with whole wheat bread, onion, cherry tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, garlic, basil leaves, olive oil, black pepper powder and salt. I just love this simple yet so scrumptious preparation. I bake a small loaf of whole wheat bread at home itself for Bruschetta.
Bruschetta tastes better if you let the mixture of vegetable toppings (mixed with salt and pepper) rest in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes. It allows vegetable juices to blend well with each other, resulting in delicious taste.
Yields : 8 pieces
- Loaf of bread (Cut into Thick Slices)
- 1/4 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 8-10 Cherry Tomatoes (Sliced)
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Cut into Half)
- 15-16 Basil Leaves (Chopped)
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Olive Oil
- Mix chopped onion, sliced cherry tomatoes, chopped yellow bell pepper, chopped garlic cloves, chopped basil leaves, salt and black pepper in a big bowl.
- Place the bowl in a refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 210°C for 10 minutes.
- Brush bread slices with olive oil and grill for 10-15 minutes till they turn golden.
- Rub each grilled toast with remaining pieces of garlic.
- Top it with vegetable mixture and serve it.