This tangy and spicy pasta sauce has been cooked with red bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and garlic. Red Bell peppers are roasted till they are charred and this renders a smoky flavor to the sauce. Thick and delicious sauce gets filled within the spirals of fusilli which makes each and every piece quite palatable. I have added vegetables like sweet corns, green and yellow bell peppers as well to pasta. You can skip them and pasta will still remain delicious.
Red bell pepper is a very rich source of antioxidants and vitamin C. It is also a good source of vitamin A and vitamin B6. One of the interesting facts is that red bell pepper contains more vitamins and minerals than green bell pepper.
Another important ingredient of this sauce is tomato.Tomatoes are considered to be abundant in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K. They also contain lycopene – an antioxidant which restricts the proliferation of cancer cells. One more wonderful thing about tomatoes is that they are are low in fat and calories.
Kids usually hate to see vegetables on their plate and make up a lot of excuses to avoid eating them. The best way is to hide vegetables in their favorite dishes in such a manner that they are not able to see them yet reap the benefits of vegetables. Serving healthy and nutritious sauces with their favorite pasta is one such thing. This trick always works with my son :).
You can also try other Pasta recipes ( mentioned in my previous posts) : Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce and Spinach and Corn Pasta.
Yields :1 Cup sauce
Serves : 2-3 Persons
- 200 gms. Fusilli Pasta (Approximately 2 cups)
- 3 Big Red Bell Peppers
- 4 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper (Chopped into Cubes)
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (Chopped into Cubes)
- 1/3 Cup Sweet Corns (Boiled)
- 14-16 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Paprika Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli flakes
- 2 Tsp Oregano (Dry)
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil + 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil +1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Boil 6-7 cups of water in a big pan.
- Add pasta, salt and half a tablespoon of oil to the boiling water. Cook for 10-12 minutes or as per instructions written on the pack.
- Drain water when pasta is cooked al dante. You can check the same by cutting it with a fork. if you are able to see a thin white line at the center, it is a sign that pasta has been cooked to perfection.
- Rinse pasta with cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Roast red bell peppers on gas burner till the outer skin is completely charred (turns black).
- Transfer them to a bowl of chilled water and remove the skin once it is cooled down. Chop it roughly.
- In the meantime, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a big frying pan and add garlic.
- Saute for a few minutes and subsequently, add onion to it.
- When the onion turns translucent, add roasted bell pepper.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and add tomatoes.
- Cook till tomatoes are tender. This will take another 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle chilli paprika powder, red chilli flakes,mixed herbs, salt and sugar. Cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the pan contents to cool down.
- Transfer the contents to a grinder-jar and blitz the contents to get a smooth paste.
- In another frying pan, heat half a tablespoon of oil. Add green and yellow bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sweet corns and pasta sauce to frying pan. Cook again for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pasta to frying pan and toss it along with vegetables.
- Allow it to cook for approximately 5-7 minutes. Cook till pasta is completely coated with sauce. If sauce is too thick,you can add some water.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl.