Pav Bhaji dish originated as being part of Maharashtrian cuisine and it is now relished all over the country. It consists of mashed vegetables (bhaji) cooked in butter and pav (lightly toasted with butter). It is served with a dollop of butter along with chopped onion and lemon.
I love pav-bhaji but really like to avoid enormous quantity of butter. In my version of delicious pav-bhaji, you will find plenty of vegetables cooked with only one tablespoon of oil and no butter.
It is a healthy, nutritious and very easy recipe. Trust me, you will not miss butter 🙂
Serves: 4-5 Persons
For Bhaji :
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 4 Big Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1 ” Ginger Piece (Grated)
- 1/3 Cup (Chopped) Beans
- 1/3 Cup (Chopped) Beetroot
- 1 Cup (Chopped) Carrot
- 2/3 Cup (Chopped) Bell Pepper (Red/Yellow)
- 2/3 Cup Peas (Frozen/Fresh)
- 2 1/2 Cup (Chopped) Potatoes
- 3/4 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 3 Tsp Pav Bhaji masala + 2 Tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Salt as per Taste
For Assembling :
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Big Onion (Chopped)
- 3-4 Lemon Wedges
- 2 Packets of Pav
- Oil for Toasting Pav
- Transfer all the chopped vegetables ( beans, beetroot, carrot, bell pepper, peas and potatoes) to a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water ,salt and 2 teaspoons of pav bhaji masala.
- Lower the flame after one whistle and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a kadai and add garlic.
- Saute for a minute. Add onion and ginger. Cook till onion turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are tender.
- Add pav bhaji masala and mix it.
- Cover kadai with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down and subsequently, make a paste by grinding it.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash all the vegetables.
- Transfer paste and mashed vegetables to kadai and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix it. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish bhaji with coriander leaves.
- Heat a tava and grease it with oil. Toast pav for 2 minutes.
- Serve pav bhaji with chopped onion and lemon wedges.