This is our favorite snack at home when we just forget about calories and simply gorge on it. My mother used to prepare this filling for samosas and everyone just loved it. It looks like a simple recipe but trust me, this potato filling is full of varied flavors. Each and every bite of bread roll is worth the calories that go with it.
Secret to make potato filling so delicious is to use a lot of coriander powder and let spices cook a little longer than necessary.
Enjoy scrumptious bread rolls with coriander chutney and tomato ketchup along with a hot cup of ginger-tea.
Yields: 6 Bread-Rolls
- 3 Medium Potatoes (Boiled and Mashed)
- 2 Green Chillies (Slit)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 3/4 Tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 3 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Oil (For Potato FIlling)
- Oil (For Deep-frying)
- 6 Whole-Wheat Bread Slices
For Potato filling:
- Heat oil in a kadai and add green chillies, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add coriander powder and chilli powder. Lower the heat and let spices turn dark brown ( let the spices burn a bit in the oil but not too much ). This is going to make potato filling more flavorsome.
- Add mashed potatoes, fennel seeds powder, dry mango powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix everything and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mash potatoes and let the mixture cool down.
For making Bread-rolls:
- Take a shallow bowl of water. Dip one slice of bread in it and squeeze extra water by pressing the slice with palm.
- Now, put some potato filling in the center and bring together the edges of slices to form a roll. Transfer bread roll to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining slices.
- Keep the plate in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Deep-fry bread rolls in hot oil till they are cooked on all sides.
- Serve with coriander chutney and tomato ketchup.