As the name suggests, this chutney has been prepared with tamarind paste , jaggery powder and a few spices.
I remember my mom soaking tamarind pieces in water for a few hours , then extracting pulp for making chutney. Nowadays, tamarind paste is easily available in the market and it becomes so simple to prepare tamarind chutney. But, salt content of this paste is usually quite high, so be careful while adding salt to chutney.
I have added jaggery powder instead of sugar in this recipe. Jaggery is a good source of minerals like iron,magnesium and phosphorous.
Tamarind and jaggery chutney is eaten with chats, samosas etc. You can store it in an airtight glass container for 8-10 days.
Yields : Approximately 1/2 Cup
- 3 Tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 3/4 Tsp Ginger Powder (Optional)
- 1/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 4 Tbsp Jaggery Powder
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Tsp – 1/2 Tsp Black Salt
- In a pan, add tamarind paste and water.
- Sprinkle all dry ingredients and mix the contents of pan.
- Cook at low flame till chutney thickens. It will take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Wait for chutney to reach room temperature. Pour it in an airtight glass container for storing.
One thought on “Tamarind and Jaggery Chutney / Meethi Chutney Recipe”