These kebabs have been prepared with kala chana, also known as Black/ Indian chickpeas.
They are high in dietary fiber and low in fat along with being a good source of protein and iron.
They have a low glycemic index, which means the carbohydrate is broken down and digested slowly. This helps in curbing appetite; hence it is very good for people looking to lose weight.
Black chickpeas can be used in several forms; they can be boiled, sprouted and cooked with the spices. I have made kebabs, to break free from the routine way of consuming black chana. These kebabs are so soft that they just melt in the mouth. I have adopted healthier pan-frying method, instead of deep frying or shallow frying, to maintain the health quotient of black chickpeas.
Try these melting kebabs with coriander chutney and tomato ketchup.
YIELDS :10 Kebabs
- 1 Cup Black Chickpeas/Kala Chana (Soaked Overnight)
- 1 Big Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Green Chillies (Chopped)/(Optional)
- 6-8 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 1 1/4 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chat Masala
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Tsp Kitchen King Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3- 4 Tbsp Gram Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp+1/2 Tbsp+ 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Salt As Per Taste
- Boil soaked black chickpeas /black chana in a pressure cooker with salt and 1 1/4 cup of water. Lower the flame after one whistle and let black chickpeas cook for 20-25 minutes at low flame.
- Drain excess water. Cool it and grind in a mixer-grinder.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan and add green chillies. Cook for a minute and subsequently, add onion and ginger. Saute at medium-high flame till mixture turns light brown.
- Cool this mixture and grind it to obtain a smooth paste.
- Take a big bowl and transfer black chickpea paste and onion paste to it. Also, add finely chopped garlic, chopped coriander leaves, chat masala, garam masala, kitchen king powder,red chilli powder, gram flour plus half a tablespoon of oil.
- Mix all the ingredients and shape them into balls. If you have trouble shaping the mixture, add more gram flour.
- Mould them in the shape of tikki by pressing them.
- Now, heat a non-stick pan and pan-fry kebabs with remaining oil.
- Transfer them to a paper towel so as to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with coriander chutney and tomato ketchup.
- You can soak black chana in lukewarm water for 5-6 hours as well.
- If you are not in a mood to avoid extra calories, you can replace oil with ghee for more aromatic flavor.
- These kebabs can be made without onion and garlic as well. Increase the amount of kitchen king powder to 2 teaspoons and garam masala to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Also add one tablespoon of ghee instead of 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Give these kebabs a different shape like star, heart, moon etc. for your kid.