I have always been reluctant to eat papaya and eating a raw papaya was simply out of question. But recently, my sister somehow convinced me to try raw papaya salad once. So, I finally prepared it with some modification of my own. To my surprise, I savoured its flavor and thus, decided to share this scrumptious recipe.
Raw papaya salad has a sweet and sour taste, accompanied by pungent flavor of garlic. Peanuts, added at the time serving, contributed to crunchiness in it . Apart from its delicious flavor, another reason to try raw papaya salad is the numerous health benefits of raw papaya. I have listed a few of them to motivate readers of my blog for trying this recipe once 🙂 .
Papaya is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C along with being a rich source of carotenoids, folate and dietary fibre. Raw (Green ) Papaya contains double the amount of papain, in comparison to ripe papaya. Papain aids in breaking down food proteins, sugar and body fat as well. Hence, this is very good for people looking to lose weight.
Yields : 2-3 Servings
- 1 Small Raw Papaya ( Grated )
- 1 Big Carrot ( Grated )
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper ( Cut into Strips )
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper ( Cut into Strips )
- 4 Garlic Cloves ( Finely Chopped )
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts
- 2-3 Drops Oil ( To roast peanuts )
- Coriander Leaves ( For Garnishing )
- Heat a nonstick pan and drizzle a few drops of oil. Roast peanuts till they are crunchy.
- Remove the outer skin of peanuts once they are cooled down. Roughly crush peanuts using a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer remaining ingredients to a big bowl and mix everything.
- Place the bowl in refrigerator for chilling.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve.
- Apple Cider Vinegar can be replaced with 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Honey can be replaced with powdered sugar.
- You can add some chopped green chillies for spiciness.
- You can also add blanched french beans, regular tomatoes/cherry tomatoes.