This recipe has been prepared in such a manner that it can be be eaten as a finger-food. I have given a twist to aloo tikki chat by serving it inside a baked multigrain tokri. Simply, hold it in your hand and relish the flavor of aloo tikki (served inside a crispy tokri) along with white vatana/matar , meethi chutney (prepared with tamarind and jaggery), hari chutney (prepared with coriander leaves) and yogurt. Each and every bite is absolutely scrumptious and is packed with varied flavors.
Tokri has been prepared with maize (makai) flour, sorghum flour (jowar) and whole wheat (gehun) flour. These baked tokris are absolutely crispy and only half tablespoon of oil has been used in preparing them. Tokris do not become squashy with chutneys and yogurt until and unless they are kept for long.
You can prepare these tokris in advance and store them in an airtight container. Just heat them in an OTG/ Microwave for crispiness before using.
It is a perfect snack for parties. Prepare in advance and assemble at the time of serving.
Yields : 10 Baked Aloo Tikki Tokris
- 10 Multi-Grain Tokri
- 10 Aloo Tikkis
- 1/2 Cup (Boiled) White Vatana / Matar
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt (Whisked)
- Meethi Chutney(Tamarind and Jaggery Chutney)
- Hari Chutney (Coriander Chutney)
- Thin Sev (For Garnishing)
- Pomegranate (For Garnishing)
For Aloo Tikki
- 3 Medium Potatoes (Boiled and Mashed)
- 1 1/2 ” Ginger (Grated)
- 1/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour Powder
For Multi-Grain Baskets ( Yields 10 Baskets)
- 1/4 Cup Maize Flour (Makai Aata)
- 1/8 Cup Sorghum Flour (Jowar Aata)
- 1/8 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/8 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/4 Tsp Paprika Powder/ Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Water (For kneading dough )
For Multi-Grain Baskets:
- Knead a soft dough using all the ingredients .
- Wrap the dough with a cling foil and place it in refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 5 portions.
- Roll each portion till it is thinner than a chapati.
- Using a cutter, cut the rolled dough into shape of a circle. Cutter’s size should be larger than the size of a single indentation of muffin pan. Diameter and height of indentation should be taken into consideration.
- Grease muffin pan with some oil and place dough circles in each indentation.
- Bake at 200°C for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven. Baked baskets should not be soft when you touch them. If they are soft, bake again for a few minutes.
- Use the dough-leftovers to make more baskets. Repeat the process till dough is finished.
For Aloo Tikki
- Add all the ingredients and mix everything.
- Divide into 10 portions.
- Take a portion, shape it into a ball and flatten it with palm to form a tikki. Repeat with remaining portions.
- Grease a hot tava and cook tikkis on both sides till they are browned. Cook them at low-medium flame.
- Transfer them to a paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
- Take a basket and put approximately half teaspoon of meethi chutney, hari chutney and yogurt. Mix them with a spoon.
- Place white vatana/matar followed by a tikki.
- Again, pour approximately half teaspoon of yogurt, followed by meethi chutney and hari chutney.
- Garnish with sev and pomegranate .
- Repeat the process for other baskets and serve.
- Yogurt and both chutneys should have a thick consistency.
- You can replace sorghum flour with maize flour or whole wheat flour.
- Whole wheat flour can be replaced with refined flour. But, it will make them less healthy.