Besan ke Gatte dish is an integral part of traditional Rajasthani thali. Gram flour, yogurt and oil along with a few spices are combined to knead a dough, which is then moulded into cylindrical shape and boiled in simmering water. Once boiled, they are cut and added to yogurt gravy.
I have slightly altered the recipe by making gravy with tomatoes plus a few tablespoons of yogurt. I have also added a bit of gram flour for thicker gravy. I have not added onion/garlic to this gravy.
This besan ke gatte recipe yields soft gram flour dumplings dipped in thick, tangy and medium spicy gravy. Fennel seeds and asafoetida give an aromatic flavor to this gravy. Relish it with missi roti/ roti made with makai, bajra, jowar or whole wheat flour.
Serves: 2-3 Persons
- 1 Cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1/2 Tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Yogurt (Dahi)
- Salt as per Taste
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Oil
For Gravy :
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 1/2″ Ginger Piece
- 1 Tsp Asafoetida (Heeng )
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder ( Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds Powder (Bhuna Jeera)
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds Powder (Saunf Powder)
- 3/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 5 1/2 Tbsp Yogurt (Dahi)
- 2 Tbsp Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Chopped Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing )
For Gatte :
- Using all the ingredients, knead firm dough using a few teaspoons of water.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into 10 cms. long cylindrical roll with a width of 1-1.5cms.
- Boil 3 1/2 cups of water in a pan and cook gattas in boiling water for 7 to 8 minutes. You will see that they will start floating on top. Drain water.
- Cut cylindrical rolls into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Blend tomato and ginger using mixer-grinder and transfer to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds begin to crackle, add tomato-ginger paste.
- In the meantime, add yogurt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, fennel seeds powder and gram flour to a bowl and mix properly.
- Cook tomato-ginger paste for 3-4 minutes and subsequently, add yogurt mix to kadai.
- Cook again for 3-4 minutes. Add salt and 1 1/4 cup of water.
- Add gattas to kadai and cook for 10-12 minutes till gravy starts to thicken.
- Add garam masala and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.