Rajma, also known as kidney bean, is a popular dish of Northern India. It is usually paired with rice. Rajma/kidney bean boasts of its high fiber content and complex carbohydrate which aid in lowering cholesterol level. It is a low fat, high fiber food and also has low glycemic index, so it is quite good for people trying to lose weight. It is also highly rich in antioxidants, important for boosting immunity. Benefits of eating rajma/kidney bean do not end here. It is also a wonderful source of lean protein and many other vitamins and minerals like vitamin B1, manganese, potassium and magnesium etc.
I have used soaked and boiled rajma to prepare these scrumptious kebabs. Rajma paste has been seasoned with various powdered spices to give it a delicious spicy flavor. These kebabs are very soft and just melt in mouth. I have pan- fried these kebabs with ghee/oil. Ghee gives it a nice aroma and enhances its taste. Rajma galouti kebabs are so flavorful that you will not feel the need to eat any dip/chutney. We relished it with simply a cup of hot ginger-tea.
Yields: 14-16 Small Round Kebabs
- 3/4 Cup Rajma (Soaked Overnight or For 7-8 Hours)
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 4 -5 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1 Tsp Chat Masala
- 1 Tsp Paprika Powder / Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Kitchen King Masala
- 1 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1/2 Tbsp Ghee +1/2 Tbsp Ghee
- Oil /Ghee (For Pan-frying)
- Soak rajma overnight or for 7-8 hours.
- Transfer rajma to a pressure cooker. Add salt and 1 cup of water to it.
- Lower the flame after one whistle and boil for 15-18 minutes at low flame.
- In the meantime, chop onion and toss them with half a tablespoon of ghee till onion turns golden brown. Let it cool completely. Now, make a paste using mixer-grinder.
- Blitz cooked rajma in a grinder-jar to get a paste. Remember, rajma should be completely cooled down before grinding.
- Now, add chopped garlic cloves, chat masala, paprika powder, kitchen king masala, garam masala, gram flour and ghee. Mix all the ingredients.
- Shape them into round/ oval kebabs. You can also use bamboo skewers and wrap the mixture around skewers. Press the mixture lightly with palm to set it .
- Heat a monstick pan and drizzle a few teaspoons of ghee/ oil. Now, pan fry kebabs at low to medium heat.
- Scrumptious rajma galouti kebabs are ready to be relished.