One day, I was just looking at my refrigerator and thinking for ways to finish green gram sprouts (which I do not relish). Savoury pancakes with gram flour and lentils are usually prepared for breakfast in indian households but I had never heard of anyone making pancakes with sprouts. So, I just decided to experiment by making pancakes. First experiment yielded an average pancake. I was not happy with its texture. So, I decided to add some (soaked) husked green gram along with sprouts. And, the result was deliciously soft pancakes.
It is an extremely easy and nutritious recipe for breakfast. These savoury sprouts pancakes cook very quickly as well.
Lentils have a lot of protein and when sprouted, there is an enormous increase in their nutrition in terms of protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, B group vitamins etc. Protein-rich breakfast gives you a perfect start for the day and keeps you full for a long period.
You can add vegetables like onion, assorted bell peppers, carrots etc. to make pancakes more healthy. Eat them with freshly prepared coriander chutney.
Serves : 4-5 Medium Pancakes
- 3/4 Cup Green Gram Sprouts
- 1/4 Cup Husked Green Gram (Yellow Moong Dal)
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped) / Optional
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (Chopped) / Optional
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (Chopped) / Optional
- 1 1/2 ” Ginger Piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Oil ( For Cooking Pancakes)
- Soak husked green gram in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- Transfer sprouts , husked green gram , ginger and green chillies to a grinder-jar and grind with 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- Transfer batter to a big bowl and add red chilli powder and salt. Add a few tablespoons of water if batter is too thick. Batter should have a flowing consistency like a uttapam batter, so that it spreads easily on tava.
- Heat a non-stick tava and grease it with some oil.
- Pour some batter on tava and spread it by tilting tava.
- Sprinkle chopped vegetables on batter.
- Flip pancake when lower side is cooked.
- Turn the pancake again after a minute and brush top side of pancake with some oil .
- Flip the pancake again and cook top side with vegetables at low flame.
- Transfer pancake to a kitchen towel for absorbing excess oil.
- Serve with coriander chutney.