I have had this recipe in draft for long time but could not share it as I have not had chance to click pictures. Finally, here is this recipe for delicious garlic rolls. My son is fond of garlic bread but those available in food outlets are made with refined flour. So, I decided to make them more healthy (than the ones sold at food outlets) by trying garlic rolls with whole wheat flour. These garlic rolls are very crispy on the outside, soft inside and oozing with garlic flavor.
I have added garlic bread seasoning along with minced garlic. Garlic bread seasoning is easily available in the market / online stores. If you can not find it, double the quantity of minced garlic while making garlic spread. I had prepared a lot of dough, so I experimented with pizza rolls as well (as you can see in few pictures). Pizza rolls turned out be extremely delicious as well. I will share its recipe soon.
For now, gather ingredients and get ready to bake scrumptious garlic rolls.
Yields: 10-12 Garlic Rolls
For Dough :
- 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp Sugar (Powdered)
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Lukewarm Water (For Yeast Activation and Kneading Dough)
For Garlic Spread :
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Butter (At Room Temperature)
- 1 Tbsp (Minced) Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Bread Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Mixed Herbs Seasoning
- Dissolve sugar in a few tablespoons of lukewarm water and subsequently mix yeast to it. Let it rest for 8-10 minutes for
activation. You will see that some bubbles/froth will appear on top.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, salt and yeast mixture to a bowl.
- Bring all the ingredients together, using lukewarm water and knead a dough. You will need approximately 1/3 cup of water for it. This may vary depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer this dough to a clean slab or a big wooden board for kneading the dough properly.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Pour oil and knead again just for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. I preheated the oven for 10 minutes at its lowest temperature and kept the bowl inside oven.
- Now, prepare garlic spread by transferring all ingredients to a bowl and mixing them.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Divide it into two portions.
- Roll one portion and spread garlic spread over it. Cut it into 5-6 strips using a pizza cutter and fold each strip till the end to form a roll. While rolling dough, try to roll it in a rectangular shape so that all rolls are of equal size. I rolled a circle and you can see that they are of uneven size. Repeat with another portion as well.
- Line baking tray with a parchment paper and transfer rolls to it. Let them rest for 30-40 minutes in a warm place for second rise.
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Gently brush top side of garlic rolls with some milk and sprinkle mixed herbs seasoning.
- Place baking tray in middle rack of oven and bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes. They will turn golden in color and you will be able to hear a hollow sound if you tap them.
- Garlic rolls are ready. Transfer them to a platter and serve them hot.