This chutney has been prepared with roasted tomatoes, roasted bhavnagri chillies, coriander leaves and a few dry spices. Bhavnagri chilli is mildly hot and remains available throughout the year. A variety of dishes like stuffed bhavnagri chillies, bharli mirch, mirchi salan, mirchi vada etc. are prepared with it.
I have roasted tomatoes and bhavnagri chillies in an oven till they were charred. Use of bhavnagri chillies and coriander leaves along with black peppercorns gives this chutney a piquant flavor. I have added some sugar as well to balance the peppery taste of chutney.
This chutney can be refrigerated in a glass container for 15 days. Relish this spicy tomato chutney with bhavnagri chillies as an accompaniment to vegetable/ stuffed parathas or any lightly spiced meal.
Yields : 1 Cup
- 5 (Medium) Tomatoes
- 4 Bhavnagri Chillies
- 1 (Medium) Onion
- 1/8 Cup (Chopped) Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 6 Black Peppercorns (Crushed)
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2-3 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Clean bhavnagri chillies and tomatoes with water.
- Brush them with some oil and place on a baking tray (lined with parchment paper).
- Transfer baking tray to a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes at 250°C.
- Remove bhavnagri chillies from tray and let tomatoes bake for additional 10 minutes.
- Transfer them to a bowl filled with water so that skin of tomatoes can be easily removed.
- Now, chop bhavnagri chillies and tomatoes roughly.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add onion and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add chopped tomatoes and bhavnagri chillies.
- Cook at medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add black peppercorns, red chilli powder, garam masala, salt and sugar.
- Cook for two minutes and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Again cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Transfer mixture to a grinder jar and allow it to cool completely.
- Grind the mixture till you receive a slightly coarse paste.
- Transfer to a glass container and store.
- You can roast tomatoes and bhavnagri chillies directly on a gas burner as well.