Ker Sangri is one of the popular scrumptious dishes of Rajasthan. Ker (dried dessert berries) and Sangri ( dried dessert beans) are found in arid parts of Rajasthan. Ker is a fruit of a thorny bush known as Capparis Decidua and resembles a small berry. Khejari (Prosopis Cineraria) fruits or pods are called Sangar or Sangri. Ker Sangri has a spicy and sour taste, much like a pickle.
This dish has been in my list much before I started this blog but could not prepare because of unavailability of Ker Sangri. Recently, I had a chance to buy them when I visited my in-laws place in Rajasthan. It is extremely easy to prepare this dish. Cleaning Ker and Sangri is the only laborious task while preparing it. It is usually prepared with generous amount of oil. However, I have tried to use lesser quantity of it and used mustard oil to give it a pickle like taste. I have also added a few raisins for sweetness.
It is traditionally eaten with bajra roti. We relished Ker Sangri with parathas.
Serves : 3-4
- 1/2 Cup Ker
- 1 Cup Sangri
- 15-18 Raisins
- 8 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 1/2 Tsp Ginger Paste
- 2 1/2 Tsp Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 5 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 6 Tbsp Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- Clean ker and sangri 2-3 times, thoroughly with water.
- Soak ker sangri overnight in 3 cups of water .
- Drain water and wash ker sangri once again.
- Boil 2 1/2 cups of water in a big pot. Add ker sangri and salt to it.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds and dry red chillies.
- Add ginger and garlic paste when cumin seeds begin to crackle.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, fennel seeds powder, red chilli powder and mix. Add 3-4 tablespoons of water and cook spices for a minute.
- Now, add ker sangri (along with 3-4 tablespoons of water in which it has been boiled), raisins and dry mango powder. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Beat yogurt and transfer to kadai. Also adjust quantity of salt at this stage.
- Let it cook for 5-7 minutes and turn off the heat.