Makhni Methi Paneer- Cottage Cheese slices dipped in makhni gravy with a hint of fresh fenugreek leaves in every bite. This recipe is a variation of Methi Malai Matar recipe. Since, fresh peas are not available in this season, I chose to cook a different version of Methi Malai Matar with paneer / cottage cheese and it tasted delicious.
So, just grab a bunch of fresh fenugreek leaves, cottage cheese and basic makhni gravy ingredients and get ready to cook scrumptious restaurant style Makhni Methi Paneer at home.
- 200 Grams Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- 2 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 4 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup (Chopped) Fenugreek Leaves
- 2 Tsp ( Grated ) Ginger
- 2 Tsp ( Grated ) Garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Melon Seeds (Soaked in water for 30-40 mins)
- 6 pieces of Green Cardamom (Elaichi)
- 1 1/2 ” Piece Of Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds Powder ( Bhuna Jeera )
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder ( Pisi Dhaniya)
- 1 Tsp Degi Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil + 3/4 Tbsp
- Salt as per Taste
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in a kadai and add onion, garlic and ginger.
- Cook the ingredients with a pinch of salt till onion softens a bit. It will take around 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn tender.
- Grind melon seeds and transfer paste to kadai.
- Also add turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder and coriander powder.
- Cook for two minutes and turn off the heat.
- Allow mixture to cool down. Transfer the contents to a jar and blitz the mixture to obtain a paste.
- Heat remaining oil in a kadai and add fenugreek leaves.
- Sprinkle some salt and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Add onion-tomato paste, degi red chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Stir all the ingredients and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk and sugar along with 1/4 cup of water and stir the contents of kadai.
- Cover kadai with a lid and let gravy simmer for 5-7 minutes till gravy starts to thicken.
- Add cottage cheese slices. Cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Transfer contents to a serving bowl and serve makhni methi paneer with tandoori roti /any Indian flat-bread of your choice.