This is a healthier version of garlic bread which does not use butter and is baked with just a tablespoon of oil. Dry rosemary herb and garlic cloves give this bread a delicious aromatic flavor. It is crispy on the outside and soft inside.You can serve it with a cheesy dip to your kids. They will surely relish it.
Served hot, whole wheat rosemary-garlic bread tastes delicious just with a cup of tea/coffee as well.
You can have it for breakfast / evening snack.
Serves : 2
For Dough :
- 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp (Minced) Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Bread Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tsp Rosemary (Dry)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Lukewarm Water (For Yeast Activation and Kneading Dough)
- Dissolve sugar in a few tablespoons of lukewarm water and subsequently mix yeast to it. Let it rest for 8-10 minutes for activation. You will see that some bubbles/froth will appear on top.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, salt and yeast mixture to a bowl.
- Bring all the ingredients together, using lukewarm water and knead a dough. You will need approximately 1/3 cup of water for it. This may vary depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer this dough to a clean slab or a big wooden board for kneading it properly.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Pour half tablespoon of oil and knead again just for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. I preheated the oven for 10 minutes at its lowest temperature and kept the bowl inside oven.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Add minced garlic, rosemary and remaining oil to a bowl and mix everything.
- Pour the mixture over dough and knead it.
- Divide it into two portions.
- Shape each portion into a semi-circle.
- Line baking tray with a parchment paper and transfer semi-circles to it. Let them rest for 30-40 minutes in a warm place for second rise.
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Gently brush top with some milk and sprinkle mixed herbs seasoning.
- Place baking tray in middle rack of oven and bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes. They will turn golden in color and you will be able to hear a hollow sound if you tap them.
- Whole Wheat Rosemary-Garlic bread is ready. Cut it into long strips and serve.