Roasted Tomato Soup – Prepared with oven-roasted tomato slices, garlic, spring onions and seasoned with black pepper and basil herb.
Everyone loves a hot bowl of tomato soup especially during winter season. I have altered the recipe a bit to give healthy tomato soup a new flavor which will surely tickle your taste-buds.
Same has been achieved by using spring onions (instead of regular onions) and Italian basil. I have used dry basil. If you get fresh basil, grind a few leaves along with onion-tomato mixture. Make sure to add dry basil just before serving. You can sprinkle it directly over the soup-bowl or stir it in the pot after turning off the heat.
Pair hot roasted tomato soup with bread-sticks for a light meal.
I baked fresh whole wheat rosemary bread-sticks to go with hot roasted tomato soup.
- 4 Large Tomatoes
- 3 Spring Onion Bulbs
- 2 Spring Onion Stalk
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 5 Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2-3/4 Tsp Basil Herb (Dry)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup of Water
- 3/4 Tbsp Oil
- Slice tomatoes and arrange on a baking tray.
- Roast tomatoes for 35-40 minutes at 250°C in a preheated oven. Take the tray out of oven when you see a black/dark brown lining appear on their outer skin.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a pan and add garlic, black peppercorns and spring onion bulb along with stalk.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Transfer roasted tomatoes and onion-garlic paste to a grinder-jar once they are cooled down.
- Grind till you receive a smooth paste. Add some water, if needed.
- Transfer it to a big pot. Add sugar, black pepper powder, salt and water. Quantity of sugar might differ, depending on the sweetness of tomatoes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes till it starts boiling. Turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle dry basil over soup and stir it gently.
- Transfer to soup bowls and serve with soup-sticks.