Lately, I have acquired an interest in baking bread and it is always a delight to eat a freshly baked bread at home. This stuffed braided bread recipe is my son’s favorite. I braid it in such a manner that it resembles a fish. And like any loving mom, I don’t leave any stone unturned to make him eat healthy and nutritious food. So, I stuff it with cottage cheese and lots of vegetables. You can add cheese as well.
Breads baked using refined flour are always lighter and fluffier. But, I try to bake healthier breads using whole wheat flour or multi-grain flour instead of refined flour. I have used Aashirvad multigrain flour plus maize flour, jowar flour and semolina along with refined flour in 60:40 proportion.
- 100 Gms. Multigrain Flour
- 100 Gms. Refined Flour
- 1.5 Tbsp Maize Flour
- 1.5 Tbsp Semolina
- 1.5 Tbsp Sorghum Flour (Jowar)
- 10 Gms. + 5 Gms. Sugar (Approx. 3 Tsp.)
- 1.5 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 3 Gms. Gluten (Approx. 1 1/4 Tsp)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 15 Gms. Margarine / Butter / Olive Oil
- 1- 1 1/2 Tsp Sesame seeds
- 250-300 Ml. Water
FOR FILLING :
- 100 Gms. Cottage Cheese (Crumbled)
- 1 Small Green/Yellow/Red Bell-Pepper (Chopped)
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Sweet Corns (Boiled)
- 8-10 Black Olives (Sliced)
- 8-10 Jalapeno (Sliced)
- 2 Tsp Dry Basil Herb Seasoning
- 2 Tsp Dry Garlic Seasoning
- 3 Tbsp Pasta/Pizza Sauce
- Dissolve yeast along with 5 gms. sugar in 60 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer refined flour, multi-grain flour,maize flour, semolina, sorghum flour, salt, remaining sugar, gluten and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together and add margarine.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to add more water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. You can put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl for second rise. Wait for it to double.
- Again, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Dough is ready to be shaped.
FOR FILLING :
- Mix all the ingredients and add salt as per taste.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. With the help of a rolling pin, roll a portion in an oval shape. Place filling in the center.Refer the image below for better understanding.
- Using a pizza cutter, mark equal cuts on both sides till the end. Leave a few inches at the top and bottom.
- Now, place left strip over filling followed by right strip. Repeat the process till last right strip has been placed over filling. Place a sliced olive to resemble a fish’s eye.
- Mark two cuts at the bottom to resemble fish’s tail.
- Place it on a baking tray and repeat with remaining portions.
- Let them rise for 40-50 minutes.
- Brush the top with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds over them.
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes in a preheated oven, till it is golden brown.