This is a simple and healthy dal/ lentil recipe. Dals/Lentils are rich in dietary fibre, lean protein, folate and iron along with being a good source of potassium, calcium and Vitamin K.
Urad and Chana dal can be included in any regular indian meal but tastes extremely delicious with baigan ka bharta. During my childhood days, my mother used to prepare this combination and we used to simply relish it.
Tandoori roti (stuffed with paneer ) also pairs extremely well with urad and chana dal.
- 1/2 Cup Sabut Urad Dal / Whole Black Lentils
- 1/4 Cup Chana Dal
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 1/2 Medium Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1″ Ginger Piece
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 3/4 Tbsp Ghee
- Fenugreek Leaves Powder (For Garnishing / Optional)
- Soak urad dal and chana dal for 5-6 hours. You can also soak it in slightly hot water for 2 hours.
- Boil soaked dal for 15-20 minutes using a pressure cooker.
- Make a paste with onion, ginger and garlic using a grinder jar.
- Heat ghee in a frying-pan and add asafoetida.
- Add cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add onion paste.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes till paste turns light golden.
- Make a paste with tomatoes and add to frying-pan.
- Also, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes till ghee starts to separate. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer this paste to pressure cooker and mix with dal.
- Cook dal again for 2-3 whistles and turn off the heat.
- Transfer urad and chana dal to a serving bowl and garnish with jeera tadka / fenugreek leaves powder.