Red Lentil and Carrot Soup – Hot n Sour Red Lentil and Carrot Soup tempered with numerous curry leaves and black pepper. This soup is packed with protein, vitamin and minerals. You can use vegetable stock instead of water for adding more nutrition and flavor to soup.
Lentils add a creamy touch to soup and use of carrots gives this soup a beautiful color.
Serve nutritious Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with croutons/bread-sticks for a wholesome meal.
Serves : 3-4
- 1/4 Cup Lentils (Soaked)
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Large Tomato (Chopped)
- 2 large Carrots (Chopped)
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 18-20 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 1 1/2 Tsp Hot n Sweet Seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 1/4 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Cups Water
- Wash and soak red lentils in lukewarm water for an hour.
- Boil red lentils with half a cup of water for one whistle and turn off the heat.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves, chopped garlic and black peppercorns.
- Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add chopped carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook till tender.
- Add boiled red lentils along with water, hot and sweet seasoning, black pepper powder, lemon juice and salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Blitz the mixture once it has been cooled down.
- Transfer contents to pan and add 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Transfer to soup bowl and serve with croutons/ bread sticks.
- In case hot and sweet seasoning is not available, add 3/4-1 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp black pepper powder.
- I have parboiled lentils before adding to pan. You can directly add soaked lentils along with carrots but cooking process becomes longer with it.