It is a savoury bread kneaded with fenugreek leaves powder and stuffed with Harissa paste and sweet corns. Harissa is an aromatic paste made predominantly with hot chillies. It is widely used in North African and Middle Eastern cuisines as a condiment.
Spiral Corn Bread with Harissa uses 80% whole wheat flour and 20% refined flour.
Dough has been shaped into a cylindrical roll and allowed to double before baking. So, you can see spirals inside when bread is cut into slices.
Just brush slices with some butter and toast them. Relish with a cup of coffee for delicious breakfast.
- 100 Gms. Whole Wheat Flour
- 25 Gms. Refined Flour
- 3/4 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Gluten
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Margarine/Butter/ Olive Oil ( For Kneading)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Butter
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Sweet Corn (Boiled)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Bread Seasoning
- 3 Tsp Harissa Paste
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 90 Ml. Lukewarm Water
- 1/2 Tbsp Milk
- Butter ( For Toasting bread-slices )
For Kneading Dough
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 tsp sugar in 40 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, gluten, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together and add olive oil/butter/margarine.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to add more water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. You can put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl for second rise. Wait for it to double.
- Again, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Dough is ready to be shaped.
For Shaping/Baking Bread
- Knead crushed fenugreek leaves powder along with dough.
- Roll dough on a flat surface. Try to roll it in a rectangular shape so that final roll can be even.
- Spread melted garlic butter and harissa paste on it.
- Sprinkle garlic bread seasoning over it and place sweet corns over it.
- Shape it into a cylindrical roll.
- Transfer this roll to a bread tin and let it rest for doubling in size.
- Gently brush dough with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Place bread tin inside a preheated oven and bake at 180°C 20-25 minutes.
- Allow bread to cool down before cutting into slices.
- Brush them with butter and toast them.