Pizzas are devoured by all, be it a kid or an adult. This post is going to make it easier for you to relish them guilt-free.
I have shared recipe for making pizza base from scratch and what makes them healthier is that these pizza bases have been prepared with 70% whole wheat flour (healthier alternative than refined flour).
Pizza base is one of the easiest bread that anyone can bake with perfection. One healthy and nutritious tip which has not been included in recipe is addition of cottage cheese in pizza. Sprinkle a layer of grated cottage cheese over pizza sauce and later add mozzarella cheese. It will increase calcium and protein content of pizza.
So, bake whole wheat pizzas from scratch this weekend and gobble them guilt-free at home.
You can bake pizza bases in advance and store for 2-3 days in a refrigerator.
Yields : 10 Pizzas
- 350 Gms. Whole Wheat Flour
- 150 Gms. Refined Flour
- 2.5 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 2 Tsp plus 1 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 150 Ml. Milk
- 100 Ml. plus 50 Ml. Water
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Herbed Pizza Sauce
- 200 Gms. Mozzarella Cheese
- Toppings ( Bell-Peppers/Onion/Corn/Jalapeno/Olives)
- Melted Butter
- Dissolve yeast along with one teaspoon sugar in 50 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Knead medium-soft dough using a food processor/stand-mixer. Add remaining water, milk and oil for kneading dough.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil.
- Keep it at a warm place for an hour so that dough can double itself. You can put bowl inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Dough is ready to be shaped.
- Divide dough into 10 portions and make equal size balls.
- Rest them for 15 minutes.
- Roll one portion using a rolling pin. You can make it thin crust or thick crust as per your preference.
- Prick pizza base with a fork.
- Transfer base to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 180°C for 5-6 minutes till it is partially baked.
- Repeat with other portions.
FOR FINAL ASSEMBLING :
- Brush bottom side of pizza base with some butter.
- Smear top of pizza base with Herbed Pizza Sauce.
- Place toppings of your choice.
- Bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- You can skip step number 6 of Shaping sequence and directly jump to steps for Final Assembling.