Lavash is a thin and crispy Armenian flat bread, prepared using refined flour, salt and oil.
I have used equal proportions of whole wheat flour and refined flour in kneading dough. You can also use multigrain flour to make them healthier. Also, use herbs/seasonings like Dry Parsley/ Dry Basil/Piri Piri/Dry Oregano/ Dry Rosemary to add flavor to lavash crackers.
Lavash Crackers can be had with any dip of your choice. I suggest having these crackers with healthy dips like Hummus, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus or Muhammara. You can also try Chilli Garlic Dip.
Enjoy lavash crackers along with healthy dips as snacks/appetizers.
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Refined Flour
- 1 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar plus 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (For Kneading)
- 1 Tbsp Oil (For Baking)
- 120-150 Ml Water (Approximate)
- Dry Parsley/ Dry Basil/Piri Piri/Dry Oregano/ Dry Rosemary
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 Tsp sugar in 40 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together and add olive oil.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to increase/decrease water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1-1.5 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept.
You can put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Divide dough into 5 portions and make balls.
- Cover them and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll each portion very thin and prick both sides using a fork.
- Grease both sides with oil and sprinkle seasoning as per your preference.
- Transfer each portion to baking tray (lined with parchment paper) and bake at 210°C for 7-8 minutes in a preheated oven till it is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with Hummus or Muhammara.