Lavash is a thin and crispy Armenian flat bread, prepared using refined flour, salt and oil.
I have used equal proportions of whole wheat flour and refined flour in kneading dough. You can also use multigrain flour to make them healthier. Also, use herbs/seasonings like Dry Parsley/ Dry Basil/Piri Piri/Dry Oregano/ Dry Rosemary to add flavor to lavash crackers.
Enjoy lavash crackers along with healthy dips as snacks/appetizers.
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Refined Flour
- 1 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar plus 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (For Kneading)
- 1 Tbsp Oil (For Baking)
- 120-150 Ml Water (Approximate)
- Dry Parsley/ Dry Basil/Piri Piri/Dry Oregano/ Dry Rosemary
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 Tsp sugar in 40 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together and add olive oil.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to increase/decrease water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1-1.5 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept.
You can put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Divide dough into 5 portions and make balls.
- Cover them and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll each portion very thin and prick both sides using a fork.
- Grease both sides with oil and sprinkle seasoning as per your preference.
- Transfer each portion to baking tray (lined with parchment paper) and bake at 210°C for 7-8 minutes in a preheated oven till it is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with Hummus or Muhammara.