Focaccia – Italian Bread seasoned with olive oil and salt along with toppings of herbs, vegetables, cheese etc.
This recipe of Focaccia consists of 70% whole wheat flour and 30% refined flour. I have used mixed herbs seasoning here and topped Focaccia base with jalapeno and black olives. Either of Dried herb or fresh herbs can be used. You can change toppings as per your preference. I also tried a combination of bell-pepper, corn, olives, jalapeno and cheese on Focaccia. I baked Focaccia with only bell-pepper and mixed herb seasoning. Once it was baked, I added rest of the ingredients and baked again just enough for cheese to melt. It tasted delicious.
You can utilize any mould that you have in your kitchen, be it rectangular, square, round etc.
You can use Focaccia as open sandwich, pizza base or simply toast it.
Yields : 2 Small Focaccia / 1 Large Focaccia
- 175 Gms. Whole Wheat Flour
- 75 Gms. Refined Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1 Tsp plus 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 80 Ml. Milk
- 70 Ml. plus 50 Ml. Water
- 8-10 Black Olives (Chopped)
- 10-12 Jalapeno (Sliced)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Mixed Herbs Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Oil (For Kneading Dough)
- 1/2- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (For Brushing)
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 Tsp. sugar in 50 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together with and add oil.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to add more water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. I preheated the oven for 2-3 minutes at its lowest temperature and kept the bowl inside oven. You can also put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Divide dough into equal parts.
- Take a greased mould and place one dough portion in it. Stretch dough till the edges of mould.
- Press stretched dough with fingers to create small wells and insert toppings in them.
- Brush top with oil and sprinkle mixed herbs seasoning.
- Rest it for sometime till dough is doubled in size.
- Bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes and Focaccia is ready to be relished.