Masala Chana Dal With Lauki – Wholesome and scrumptious dish combining various health benefits of dal and vegetable.
I never liked this dal in my hostel days but recently tried it at my sister’s place and liked it . So finally, I decided to cook it at home and to my surprise, I loved it so much that I repeated it again in the same week.
It is completely fuss-free recipe and gets prepared within 30 minutes.
Masala Chana Dal with Lauki can be had with either phulka or rice.
Serves : 3-4
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal (Soaked for 30 Mins)
- 1 Cup Lauki/Bottle Gourd (Chopped)
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Large Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 3-4 Dry Kashmiri Red Chillies
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Tsp Oil
- Chopped Coriander Leaves ( For Garnishing)
- Transfer soaked chana dal, lauki and tomatoes to a pressure cooker.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and water. Cover the lid and cook at high flame for one whistle.
- Lower the flame and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, kashmiri dry red chillies and garlic cloves to frying pan.
- Saute for a minute or two.
- Now, add onion and cook till it turns translucent.
- Subsequently add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder to frying pan.
- Mix all the ingredients. Cover frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer dal to frying pan and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer dal to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.