These healthy and crispy bread-sticks have been baked with 80% whole wheat flour and 20% refined flour. I have added carom seeds and mixed herbs seasoning for adding flavor to bread-sticks. You can try any other herb like rosemary, parsley, basil etc.
Also, you can gently brush the top of bread-sticks with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds/ onion seeds (Instead of carom seeds ) at the time of baking. They taste delicious too.
Enjoy these scrumptious bread-sticks with soup/cheesy dip. You can try my soup recipes – Roasted Tomato Soup (With Basil), Hot n Sour Soup, Red Lentil and Carrot Soup and Sweet Corn Soup With Vegetables.
Yields : 8-10 Bread-Sticks
- 100 Gms. Whole Wheat Flour
- 25 Gms. Refined Flour
- 1 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Carom Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Mixed herbs Seasoning
- 90-100 Ml. Water
- Herbed Butter (For Brushing/Optional)
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 Tsp of sugar in 40 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Bring all ingredients together with and add olive oil.
- Knead a soft dough using above ingredients and remaining water. You might have to add more water, depending upon the quality of flour.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 10-15 minutes. Gently poke the dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for dough to rise and double. It will take 1.5- 2 hours to double. Time will vary depending upon the warmth of place where dough is kept. I preheated the oven for 10 minutes at its lowest temperature and kept the bowl inside oven. You can also put it inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Sprinkle carom seeds and mixed herbs seasoning over dough and knead for a couple of minutes.
- Divide dough into equal parts.
- Roll each part to a length of approx. 6-8 inches.
- Transfer bread-sticks to a baking tray lined with parchment paper/ silicon mat.
- Repeat the process with other portions.
- Let them rise for 40-50 minutes.
- Transfer baking tray to a preheated oven and bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush them with melted herbed butter and serve with hot soup or enjoy with a cheesy dip.