Pita Bread, Lebanese bread is a leavened flatbread, baked with wheat flour ( refined flour, whole wheat flour or a combination of both). Pita is rolled thin and baked at high temperatures in a very hot oven that puffs up the pita bread , thus creating a big pocket.
Cut Pita bread into half and fill pita pockets with the filling of your choice.
- 175 Gms. Whole Wheat Flour
- 75 Gms. Refined Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1 Tsp plus 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 180-200 Ml. Water
- 2 Tbsp Oil
Serves: 7 Pita Bread (Small)
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 tsp sugar in 50 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 8-10 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place.
- Transfer whole wheat flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Knead a soft dough using food processor/stand-mixer. Add remaining water and oil for kneading dough.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 2-3 minutes.
- Gently poke dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for an hour so that dough can double itself. You can put bowl inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process. Dough is ready to be shaped.
- Divide dough into 7 portions and shape them into a ball.
- Dust rolling board with flour and roll a portion thin using a rolling pin.
- Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with other portions.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 230°C in a preheated oven.
- Transfer pita bread to a cooling rack.
- Cut them into half and stuff pita pocket with the filling of your choice.