Achari Baigan – Baby Brinjals cooked along with melange of dry spices to give them the taste of spicy and tangy pickle. Not much oil is needed to cook delicious Achari Baigan. I have used mustard oil to give it authentic achari flavor but it can be replaced with any other edible oil in case of unavailability. This recipe is very easy and quick to prepare. Do not forget to add roasted fennel seeds powder to your spice box 🙂 as this will make recipe easier and quicker to prepare.
I have added some potato pieces but you can skip them if you like. Serve Achari baigan with paratha or phulka.
- 8-10 Small Brinjals
- 1 Big Potato (Vertically chopped)
- 1 Green Chilli (Slit)
- 3/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Roasted Fennel Seeds Powder
- 2 Tsp Mustard Oil
- Chopped Coriander Leaves (For Garnish)
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and green chilli.
- Once seeds begin to crackle, add baby brinjals, potato, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Sprinkle few drops of water over brinjals and cover kadai with a lid. Cook till brinjals and potato pieces turn tender. Keep stirring in between.
- Now, add dry ingredients like coriander powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder and roasted fennel seeds powder. Mix till brinjals are well coated.
- Cook for additional 2-3 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.