Muhammara is a hot pepper dip and forms an important part of Levantine and Turkish cuisine. It originated in Aleppo, Syria. It is prepared using fresh or dried peppers, walnuts, breadcrumbs and olive oil. Sometimes, other ingredients like cumin powder, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses are added to enhance its flavor.
This dip does not only boasts of its taste but also of its health benefits. Its main ingredients- red bell-pepper and walnut are rich in antioxidants. Red bell peppers are also an excellent source of Vitamin C and contain very good quantities of Vitamin A. Walnuts contain a good amount of Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E as well.
Hence, combining this delicious dip along with vegetables makes your toasts much more nutritious and scrumptious. I have used onion and bell-peppers as these were the only vegetables available in my kitchen. You can add sweet corns, broccoli , zucchini etc.
- 3 Whole Wheat Bread Slices
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Red Bell-Pepper (Chopped)
- 1/2 Green Bell-Pepper (Chopped)
- 3 Tbsp Muhammara/ Red Bell Pepper n Walnut Dip
- Cut bread slices into halves, forming triangles.
- Mix all ingredients (except bread slices) together in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture evenly on bread slices. I did not smear bread slices with oil/butter. But you do so on the bottom side of bread slices.
- Transfer bread slices to grill tray.
- Grill/Toast at 230°C for 12-15 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Serve them hot with a cup of coffee.