GUJIYA – A traditional sweet dish wherein outer shell is prepared with refined flour and subsequently stuffed with mawa/khoya. Sometimes, semolina is used along with refined flour for making crispy outer shell. Also, filling sometimes includes the combination of desiccated coconut and dry fruits along with khoya/mawa.
Gujiyas are traditionally deep-fried but I am sharing the baked version as it takes very less oil/ghee to bake them. I assure you that you will forget about deep-fried gujiyas once you have tasted these scrumptious and crispy baked goodies.
So, get baking quickly.
HAPPY HOLI !!!
For Outer Shell
- 1 Cup Refined Flour
- 2 Tbsp Semolina (Sooji/Rava)
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 1/4 Tbsp Ghee
- 250 Gms Mawa/Khoya
- 20 Almonds (Chopped)
- 30 Raisins (Chopped)
- 30 Pistachios (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsp desiccated Coconut
- 5 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 3/4 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tbsp Oil/Ghee (For Baking)
For Outer Shell
- Transfer refined flour and semolina to a big bowl. Pour ghee over them and rub well with fingers such that their texture resembles bread-crumbs.
- Add milk, one tablespoon at a time and knead a firm dough. Quantity of milk might vary depending on the quality of flour.
- Cover dough with a wet kitchen towel and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan and add mawa/khoya.
- Stir it continuously for 5 minutes at low flame and add desiccated coconut.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes more and turn off the heat.
- Once it has been cooled down, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide dough into equal portions.
- Roll one portion thin and place it on gujiya mould.
- Stuff it with filling and brush sides of mould with water.
- Close the mould tight.
- Open it and remove extra dough. Do not throw it as this dough can be used in making more gujiyas.
- Release gujiya from the mould by tapping the mould on your palm.
- Seal the edges well by pressing with fingers. Finally, seal it by pressing fork on the edges.
- Brush both sides with oil and place it on a baking tray (loned with parchment paper).
- Repeat with other portions.
- Transfer baking tray to a preheated oven and bake at 180°C for 25-30 mins.