Kulcha is a type of leavened bread which is prepared with refined flour. It is usually served with matar/chola and this street food is popularly known as matar kulcha/chola kulcha in North India. Sometimes, kulchas are also stuffed with potato or cottage cheese (paneer) and then served.
These kulchas been been made healthier by replacing 70% of refined flour with multigrain flour.
Kulchas can be prepared in advance and stored. Just warm them a bit on tava at the time of serving.
- 175 Gms. Multigrain Flour
- 75 Gms. Refined Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dry Yeast
- 1 Tsp plus 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 180-200 Ml. Water
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Onion Seeds
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- Dissolve yeast along with 1 tsp sugar in 50 ml. lukewarm water and set it aside for 6-8 minutes till a layer of froth appears on top. Always cover the yeast bowl or put it at a dark place for yeast activation.
- Transfer multigrain flour, refined flour, salt, remaining sugar and yeast mixture to a big bowl.
- Knead a soft dough using food processor/stand-mixer. Add remaining water and oil for kneading dough.
- Transfer dough to clean kitchen slab for further kneading.
- Stretch the dough back and forth using palm. Repeat this process for 2-3 minutes.
- Gently poke dough with your finger. If indentation fills quickly, it is an indication that dough has been sufficiently kneaded.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a warm cloth/cling foil. Greasing a bowl will ensure that dough does not stick to its surface while removing.
- Keep it at a warm place for an hour so that dough can double itself. You can put bowl inside a cupboard or microwave.
- Once dough is doubled, knock it to remove gas bubbles formed by yeast during rising process.
- Dough is ready to be shaped.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each portion , oval or round shape and transfer them to a baking tray (lined with parchment paper.
- Bake kulchas at 210°C in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Cover them with a kitchen towel and store in an airtight container once cooled down.