Spicy pulao preparation in which boiled rice and steamed gram flour dumplings (besan ke gatte) are cooked together with a mixture of pan-fried onion, ginger-garlic paste, yogurt, aromatic Indian spices (whole as well as powdered) and raisins.
Rajasthani Gatta Pulao can be served with plain curd/boondi raita.
- 3/4 Cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 3/4 Tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1/4 Tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 Tbsp Yogurt (Dahi)
- Salt as per Taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/3 Cup Rice
- 1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3-4 Dry Red Chilles
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Black cardamoms
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon pieces (1″)
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 Tbsp Yogurt
- 25 Raisins
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves (for Garnishing)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- Using all the ingredients, knead firm dough using a few teaspoons of water.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into 10 cms. long cylindrical roll with a width of 1-1.5cms.
- Steam for 8-10 minutes.
- Cut cylindrical rolls into small pieces and keep them aside.
- Boil rice in a pot filled with water. Once rice is cooked, drain excess water and allow rice to completely cool down.
- Mix yogurt along with turmeric powder,red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida along with bay leaves, black cardamoms, cloves, dry red chillies, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- Add onion and ginger-garlic paste. Cook for 3-4 minutes till onion turns translucent.
- Add yogurt mixture and cook for a few minutes.
- Add gatta pieces along with raisins and cook further till yogurt is thickened.
- Finally add rice, dry mango powder, coriander leaves and salt. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with plain curd / boondi raita.