Baingan Ka bharta- Popular Indian vegetarian dish which is prepared with roasted brinjal/eggplant (Baingan). Brinjal here has been roasted on a gas burner, minced after removal of its skin and further cooked with onion,tomato, ginger, garlic, chillies and Indian spices.
You can serve it with any dal and phulka/paratha. My favorite combination is Baingan ka Bharta with Urad Chana Dal and phulka, just like my mom used to make.
- 750 Gms. Brinjal
- 12 Garlic Cloves (Chopped)
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 2 1/2 Large Tomatoes (Chopped)
- 1 Fresh Red/Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 1 1/2″ Ginger Piece (Grated)
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 1/2 Tsp Oil
- Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing)
- Wash brinjal well and roast it on gas burner.
- Once it is cooled down, remove the skin and mince it.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida, green chillies and cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add onion, garlic and ginger.
- Saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till tender.
- Add roasted brinjal, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well, cover kadai with a lid and cook for 8-10 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.