Aloo Tamatar ki Sabji – A classic Indian curry made with potatoes, tomatoes and powdered spices. This lip-smacking dish is extremely easy to prepare. Potato and tomato are such ingredients that are found in anyone’s kitchen at all times. So this dish comes in very handy when you have to prepare a meal quickly but have no time to go shopping for vegetables.
Aloo Tamatar ki sabji is spicy as well as tangy in flavor. It is consumed with chapati, paratha or poori but most popular combination is with poori (Plain/Bedmi).
- 3 Medium Tomatoes (250 gms.)
- 4 Medium Potatoes (Boiled) (275 gms. approx)
- 2 Green Chillies (Slit)
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add tomatoes and cook till tender.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and cook mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Peel the skin of potatoes and mash slightly with hands such that big chunks of potatoes remain.
- Add mashed potatoes, dry mango powder, garam masala, salt and 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover kadai with a lid and let curry simmer till oil starts to float on top. This will take around 10-12 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.