Dum Aloo , popularly known as Kashmiri Dum Aloo, is prepared with small potatoes. Pricked potatoes are deep-fried, then simmered in a gravy loaded with aromatic spices.
In this healthy version of Dum Aloo, I have boiled potatoes, subsequently pan-fried in a non-stick pan with minimal oil. These baby potatoes are cooked at a low flame in tomato-yogurt gravy along with aromatic spices. Also,This gravy has been prepared without onion or garlic.
Enjoy scrumptious Dum Aloo with any Indian flat-bread.
Serves :2-3 Persons
- 28-30 Baby Potatoes
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 3/4 Tsp Asafoetida (Heeng)
- 1 Tsp Ginger Powder
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds Powder (Jeera)
- 2 Tsp Fennel Seeds Powder (Saunf)
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder (Dhaniya)
- 1 Tsp Degi Mirch Powder
- 1 1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 5-6 Cloves (Laung,Powdered)
- 3/4 Tsp Kasoori Methi (Dry-Roasted and Crushed)
- 7 Tbsp Yogurt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Salt as per Taste
- 1 Tbsp Mustard oil (For Cooking)
- 1/2 Tbsp Cooking oil (For Pan-Frying Baby Potatoes)
- Chopped Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing)
- Boil baby potatoes in salted water for one whistle in a pressure-cooker.
- Peel the skin once baby potatoes are cooled down. Prick them 2-3 times with the help of a fork.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and pan-fry them till they turn golden brown.
- Transfer yogurt to a bowl and add cumin seeds powder, fennel seeds powder,coriander powder, degi mirch powder, cardamom powder and clove powder to it. Mix all the ingredients.
- Chop tomatoes into big pieces and grind them in a mixer-grinder to obtain a paste.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai and add asafoetida.
- Subsequently, add tomato paste and ginger powder to it.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes and add yogurt mix to kadai. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes.
- Add baby potatoes and salt to kadai and let baby potatoes cook in simmering gravy.
- Cover kadai with a lid and cook till oil starts to surface on gravy ( It should take around 10-15 minutes).
- Add 1/4 cup of milk, sugar and kasoori methi. Cook for additional 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with any Indian flat-bread.
Dal Makhani has been attributed as one of the most popular dishes of Punjabi cuisine in North India. It’s main ingredients are Sabut Urad Dal (whole black lentil) and rajma (red kidney beans). Some people include chana dal for thicker consistency. A lot of butter and cream is usually added for makhani texture.
Lentils are a very good source of protein, dietary fiber and many other essential vitamins and minerals like B vitamins, folic acid, iron, zinc etc.
No butter/cream has been added in healthy version of delectable Dal Makhani. Key is to mash dal and rajma properly post boiling and allow it to simmer . Yogurt has been added for additional tanginess and fenugreek leaves give it a nice aroma.
- 1/2 Cup Sabut Urad Dal (Whole Black Lentil)
- 2 Tbsp Rajma (Red Kidney Beans)
- 3 1/2 Medium Tomatoes
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- 2″ Ginger piece
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida ( Heeng)
- 2 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds ( Jeera)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder (Pisi Dhaniya Powder)
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2-3 Tbsp Yogurt
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek Leaves Powder (Kasoori Methi )
- Salt as per Taste
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Coriander Leaves (For Garnishing)
- Clean urad dal and rajma with water. Soak them for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer soaked urad dal and rajma to a pressure cooker. Add salt and 2 cups of water to it.
- Boil at high flame for one whistle . Lower the flame and boil for 20-25 minutes.
- Mash dal and rajma with the help of a masher.
- Make a paste of tomato, green chilli, garlic and ginger in a mixer-grinder.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle coriander powder, cumin seeds powder and red chilli powder over tomato paste and mix the ingredients.
- Transfer mashed dal and rajma with 1 1/4 cup of water to kadai.
- Cover kadai with a lid and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add whisked yogurt, kasoori methi and garam masala.
- Cook for 5 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Dry roast fenugreek leaves and rub them with fingers to get it in powdered form.
- You can pour a teaspoon of ghee over dal makhani for aroma and shinier texture.