Sabudana Vada is prepared with sabudana, mashed potatoes and roasted peanuts. Here, small vada portions have been steamed using an Appam pan instead of deep- frying.
Only one teaspoon of oil has been used in steaming these vadas. Also, peanuts have not been deep-fried. Peanuts have been roasted in a non-stick pan using 1/4 tsp of oil. Key is to keep stirring peanuts in intervals so that they do not burn.
So, this navratri indulge in these delicious sabudana vadas free of guilt.
- 1/3 Cup Sabudana (Sago/Tapioca Pearls)
- 100 Gms. Potato (Boiled and Mashed)
- 30 Gms. Peanuts (Roasted)
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
- Sendha Namak
- 1 Tsp Oil
- Soak sabudana in 2/3 cup of water for 2 hours.
- Drain excess water using a strainer and let it rest for 20 mins.
- Roughly crush roasted peanuts using mortar and pestle.
- Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Divide into 8 equal portions and form balls.
- Refrigerate sabudana balls for 20 minutes.
- Heat appam pan and brush cavities with oil.
- Place sabudana balls in cavities and brush top with remaining oil.
- Cover pan with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes. Keep on rotating sides so that vadas are cooked on all sides.
- Serve sabudana vada with green chutney.