A lot of mommy friends of mine have been asking me to suggest recipes for their kids. This recipe has been prepared with all the ingredients that a kid loves. It is very easy to make and can be served to a kid as an evening snack or in tiffin as well.
I have chosen two healthy ingredients : Cottage cheese ( a good source of protein and calcium) and corn (fiber-rich food which is rich in Vitamins A, B, E and many minerals) for making this recipe. Kids’ favorite Mozzarella cheese (again a good source of protein and calcium) and potatoes (known for high carbohydrate content) have also been added in smaller proportions.
Cottage cheese and corn balls have been deep-fried. You can try either shallow-frying or pan-frying . I tried healthier pan-frying by flattening the balls. Outcome was less crispy yet quite delicious.
So, just gather all the ingredients and prepare scrumptious cottage cheese and corn balls for your kid.
Yields :10-12 cottage cheese and corn balls
- 3/4 Cup Corn kernels
- 1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese/ Paneer (Grated)
- 1/4 Cup Potato (Boiled and Mashed )
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 6-8 Jalapeno Slices (Chopped)
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 4 Tsp Corn-flour Powder + 4 Tsp Corn-flour Powder
- 1/3 cup Mozzarella Cheese (Grated)
- 1/2 Cup Bread-crumbs + 1/2 Cup Bread-crumbs
- Salt as per Taste
- Oil for Deep-frying
- In a pressure cooker, add corn kernels and 2-3 tablespoons of water. Cook at medium flame for a single whistle. Turn off the flame and transfer corn kernels to a bowl for cooling.
- In a big bowl, add corn kernels, cottage cheese, potato, garlic, jalapeno, black pepper powder, red chilli flakes, 4 tsp cornflour powder, 1/2 cup bread-crumbs and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients . Mash corn kernels a little bit while mixing ingredients. Divide the mixture into 10-12 portions.
- Slightly flatten a portion of mixture and place 1-2 tsp of grated mozzarella cheese in the center.
- Seal the edges and shape into a ball. Repeat the process till mixture is finished.
- Now, make a slurry by mixing 4 teaspoons of corn-flour powder and 4 teaspoons of water.
- Dip the balls into this slurry and roll them in remaining bread-crumbs. Repeat the process with remaining balls.
- Refrigerate them for 15-20 minutes.
- Deep-fry in hot oil.
- Serve with the dip of your choice.
- Grind a few whole wheat bread slices in a mixer-grinder to obtain fresh bread-crumbs.
- Add 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes more if your taste buds savour spicy food.
- You can roll the balls in semolina (sooji) for crispier texture.
- You can refrigerate the coated balls overnight and just deep-fry/ shallow-fry/ pan-fry them in the morning for tiffin.