This tangy and spicy dip has been made with onion, tomato, garlic, curry leaves, chana dal, grated coconut and a few more spices. Coconut has been added for mild sweetness.
It serves as the perfect accompaniment for South Indian dishes like Idli/Dosa etc. You can try it with parathas as well.
If your kid loves idli, do try this dip and modify the recipe a little bit as per the suggestion column( mentioned at the end of the recipe) .
You can refrigerate this dip in a glass container for 4-5 days.
Yields: 1 Cup (approx.)
- 1 Big onion (Chopped )
- 3 medium tomatoes ( Chopped )
- 4 Garlic Cloves ( Chopped )
- 1-2 Kashmiri Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 12-14 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Chana Dal ( Roasted )
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coconut ( Grated )
- Salt as per Taste
- 3/4 Tbsp Oil
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add mustard seeds, kashmiri red chillies, curry leaves, garlic and roasted chana dal.
- Add chopped onion when mustard seeds start to splutter.
- Cook onion till they appear translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are tender.
- Add red chilli powder,salt and grated coconut. Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the mixture to a grinder-jar for cooling.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth/slightly coarse paste.
- Transfer the jar contents to a bowl and serve with Idli/Dosa etc.
- If you are making this dip for your kid, skip kashmiri red chillies or add some tomato ketchup to dip for sweetness.
One thought on “Onion and Tomato Dip Recipe”