Idli is prepared by steaming a thick batter consisting of fermented black lentils (Urad Dal) and rice. It is relished in almost every Indian household. Everyone has their own way of consuming them. Sometimes, it is served with sambhar and sometimes, different types of chutneys are served with it. It is fried as well with mustard seeds and grated coconut. My recipe shares a different way of serving them.
This recipe uses OTG to bake idli in the form of muffins and surprise element of these muffins is spicy and flavorsome potato filling. I have earlier posted a similar idli muffin recipe with chilli-paneer filling.
Serve these delicious Idli muffins with a tangy and spicy onion-tomato dip which is very easy and quick to make.
Serves :12 Idli Muffins
For Potato Filling :
- 1 1/2 Medium Onion ( Chopped )
- 2 1/2 Small Tomatoes ( Chopped )
- 2 1/2 Medium Potatoes (Boiled and Cut into Smaller Pieces)
- 2 Green Chillies (Finely Chopped)
- 3/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 12-14 Curry Leaves
- 3/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Sambhar Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt as per Taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Cups Idli Batter
- 12 Muffin/Cupcake Liners
- Muffin Pan
For Potato Filling :
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida, mustard seeds, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add onion once mustard seeds begin to splutter.
- Cook onion till they appear translucent.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes and cook till they become tender.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and sambhar powder. Mix all the ingredients and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes, dry mango powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Gently mash potato filling so that potato is broken into smaller pieces.
For Assembling :
- Preheat oven at 210 °C for 10 minutes.
- Place muffin liners in each indentation of muffin pan.
- Pour idli batter in muffin liner till half of it is filled.
- Put approximately one tablespoon of filling and gently press it into the idli batter.
- Now, pour a few tablespoons of idli batter again so that filling is completely covered. Gently shake the muffin pan so that batter is spread evenly.
- Place muffin pan on the baking tray and bake at 210 °C for approximately 20 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick in the center to check if it comes clean. If it does not come clean, bake again for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer muffins to a platter. Serve with onion and tomato dip.