Bhavnagri chilli is mildly hot and remains available throughout the year. A variety of dishes like bharli mirch, mirchi salan, mirchi vada etc. are prepared with it.
Bhavnagri chillies in this recipe have been stuffed with spicy and tangy achari potato filling .Subsequently, they have been pan-fried in a wide-bottomed pan with some mustard oil. These stuffed bhavnagri chillies serve well as scrumptious side-dish/ accompaniment.
Serves : 6 Stuffed Bhavnagri Chillies
- 6 Bhavnagri Chillies
- 2 1/2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 3/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds Powder
- 1 Tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Refined Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Mustard Oil
- Heat oil in a kadai and add asafoetida, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Once cumin seeds begin to crackle, add coriander powder and chilli powder. Cook till mixture begins to turn brown.
- Add mashed potatoes, fennel seeds powder, dry mango powder, garam masala and salt.
- Mix everything and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Mash potatoes and let the mixture cool down.
- Cut bhavnagri chillies for 3/4th of their size, only on one side. Chillies should not separate from their stems. Refer to the image for more clarification.
- Remove the seeds with the back of a fork .
- Put a few teaspoons of achari potato filling with a spoon and push it inside. Put more filling till whole chilli is stuffed.
- Repeat the process till all chillies are stuffed.
- Heat a wide bottomed pan and pour mustard oil.
- Place all chillies and sprinkle some salt over them.
- Cover the pan and cook for 12-15 minutes. Keep on flipping chillies in between so that both sides get cooked.