These Pita pockets have been stuffed with Black Chickpeas patties, tangy salsa and cheesy sauce. They are packed with nutrition as Black/ Indian chickpeas (Kala Chana) are a rich source of protein and iron in addition to being high in dietary fiber and low in fat. They have a low glycemic index, which means the carbohydrate is broken down and digested slowly. This helps in curbing appetite; hence it is very good for people looking to lose weight. I have deep fried patties but you can pan-fry them to make pita pockets healthier.
To add more flavor, I have combined Arrabbiata sauce along with cheese spread. You can add any sauce of your preference.
Also, I have used homemade whole wheat pita bread. This gives you one more reason to try healthy and scrumptious Black Chickpeas Pita Pockets.
Serves: 14 Pita Pockets
- 3/4 Cup Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana)
- 1/2 Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Yellow Bell-Pepper (Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Gram Flour
- 2 Tsp Chilli oil
- 1/2 Tbsp Ghee
- Oil for Deep-Frying /Pan-Frying
For Chilli Oil
- 12 Red/Green Chillies (Chopped)
- 2 Tsp Dry Garlic-Oregano Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tsp Sumac Powder
- 2 Tsp Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 7 Pita Bread
- Tangy Salsa
- 4 Tsp Cheese Spread
- 5 1/2 Tsp Arrabbiata Sauce
- 6 Tsp Yogurt
- Oil for Toasting Pita Bread
For Chilli Oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add chopped chillies to saucepan and turn off the heat.
- Add garlic-oregano seasoning, sumac powder and salt to it.
- Let oil rest for 30 mins.
- Transfer to a glass container and use as necessary.
- Soak black chickpeas overnight. Alternatively, they can be soaked in hot water for 5-6 hours.
- Transfer them to a pressure cooker. Add salt and water.
- Boil them for 20-25 mins. Lower the flame after one whistle.
- Once black chickpeas cool down, grind them using a mixer-grinder.
- Transfer chickpeas paste to a big bowl. Add chopped onion, chopped yellow bell pepper, chopped coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, gram flour, chilli oil, ghee and salt.
- Now mix all ingredients and divide mixture into 14 portions.
- Take each portion and shape into oval form.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry all portions. You can pan-fry patties by flattening them.
- Prepare cheesy sauce by mixing cheese spread, arrabbiata sauce and yogurt together in a bowl. Add more yogurt to adjust consistency, if necessary.
- Cut pita bread into halves.
- Toast them on a non-stick tava using minimal oil.
- Assemble pita pockets by arranging lettuce on the inside.
- Put tangy salsa , chick pea patty, cheesy sauce inside the pocket. Again put some tangy salsa on cheesy sauce.
- Pita Pockets are ready to be served.